Do you love me more than these?

The harvest was huge during our youth service in Victory Los Banos(http://www.victorylosbanos.org/) last Thursday. People were not only coming but they were staying even though for a time during the service there were no seats anymore to accommodate some. The view was just so encouraging and challenging at the same time. While seeing those people coming, ushers trying to find seats for them, music playing, people worshiping, people receiving Christ and in short, simply being able to see and experience the very move of God in His church was a moment I would not exchange for something else. But I remembered something that night. Something very important. Something that took me again to the very heart of Jesus.

John 21:15-18 



15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
   “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
   Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
   He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
   Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
   Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
   Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him,“Follow me!”

This was after Jesus rose from the dead after three days just like what he said to the disciples. But after that they had somehow lost their focus and hope that Christ was really going to return to them and for them. Instead of continuing the call that Jesus has for them which was to be Fishers of Men they went back again to become Fishermen. They went back to the very life they were used to. Then Jesus showed himself to them and right in this moment, Jesus was talking to Peter, Jesus was asking Peter a very important question. Or was it really a question for Peter that it's as if Jesus did not know already what Peter will answer eventually. It's as if He didn't already know what's really in the heart of Peter. Or was it Jesus trying to remind him of something that he might have lost maybe somewhere along the way in his journey in Christ. Maybe Jesus is not only trying to remind Peter, but also all of us. 

He asked him, "Do you love me more than these?" and after three times of asking him. Peter was hurt. 

Sometimes I get into those kind of moments with God. Those "Do you love me more than these kind of moments." Those moments where in you are at work, at school, at your home, at your room, with your friends, with your family or really some place where in you are trying to focus on something else besides from God. Then God starts to ask you. He starts to speak inside of you and asks you the question, "Do you really love me?"

In those moments, it can hurt big time. Maybe because were too consumed in trying to answer the question that way, instead of the other way around which somehow is supposed to be like this. "Lord, how much do you love me? that it cost your Son to die for me." (John 3:16)

I believe Jesus was not trying to ask that question because He was insecure and wants to assure himself of Peter's love for him. I do believe Jesus was reminding (or even helping) Peter to realign his focus to Him. That if he really knew how much Jesus loves him and as a response of he how he loves Jesus. How can he lose sight of what's in the very heart of Christ. The very call that Jesus has for everyone of us who is in Christ. 

Jesus said "Feed my Lambs. Take care of my sheep. Feed my sheep."

Whatever that means for me, whether it means preaching the word, ministering to people, leading them to righteousness, or just simply being there for people. Whatever that is. I can never lose sight of that. I can never let my pride, weaknesses, insecurities and even those moments in my life when I think that life is about me, let me lose sight of what's really important. What really matter the most.  

So looking back at that moment during the youth service. Again it was like answering the question that Jesus will always ask us when we lose our hope in Christ.




2 Responses to "Do you love me more than these?"

  1. yey! nice. thanks for this reminder. more than the call, i am reminded of how good our God as a Shepherd. after buying us for an incredible price, He literally lays Himself out for us continually by sending people to guide His flock. :) i am more encouraged to be one of these people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *bleeds* This is a really hard question to answer for me. ^.^ I tried read pages of the The God Delusion and I was thinking, this is a well written book. Then I read the table of contents and I stopped myself and let go of the thought of ever reading that book as a whole. I may have considered myself an agnostic at one point, but I know I would be miserable as an atheist. Rather than arguing with a book I would prefer to believe in the God in my heart. So that when I am asked "Do you love me more than these?" I would be less embarrassed and I would not be lying when I tell him Yes.
    I can't say it would be easy. But I am thinking like vitamins and minerals, I am lacking on my faithamins.

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me